Master of One (Or Maybe Two)

Maybe I'm just confused. Rutgers recently decided that incoming freshman in the Honors program would be required to take 4 semesters (2 years) of a foreign language, and that incoming normal freshman would be required to take 2 semesters (1 year) of a foreign language.

Now this just seems plain silly. Yes, yes I know, American's are woefully inadequate when it comes to understanding other cultures, and this and that and the other thing... But my major problem with that revolves around three major points: first, when people go to College they generally have an idea of what they want to pursue; forcing them to 'spread their wings' so to speak is a contrived notion that only results in one thing: more money for the college itself. Most people don't really pay attention to their non-major/minor classes, and why should they? They aren't important to their future! Second, half the time College students are not even proficient in English. Go into a freshman level Expos class and you'll see what I mean. I have proofread papers that had internet shorthand (lol, tbqh, and the like) strewn about it. It's ridiculous! Third and finally, yes, I concede the fact that Americans are largely ignorant of other cultures, but, and I hate to break it to you, we live in America. 90% (why isn't this 100%? --- we don't require that all people coming into the country speak decent English? Wait... what?) of Americans speak English. And a good percentage of Americans will never go to another country and need to speak their language. So, why should we have to learn it?

I don't expect other countries to learn my language (unless they plan on coming here) and I do expect to be left to learn what I consider important to my further life plans. Knowing how to speak Spanish is irrelevant to me - and no, I do not see it coming up in my future life plans (performing technical work in an IT organization) because, guess what? They're going to be speaking English too!

So honestly. Why is it a REQUIREMENT?

Shouldn't we require people to become proficient in things which they WILL use in every day life (such as Math?)? Hell, if you want to use the argument that we should study other cultures, I make the counter argument that many Americans do not even know our own culture anymore. Let's focus on these problems before we attempt to broaden our own horizons.

I didn't go to college to become a well-rounded scholar. I went to college to get a grip on the skills which I will need to become successful in my future career. I do not buy into the crap about being well rounded. I do not want to be a jack of all trades.

I want to be the master of one (or maybe two).

-M, punching out.

 

1 Response to Master of One (Or Maybe Two)

  1. Noncomplacent Citizen Says:
    You haven't taken the concept of globalization into account at all. Yes, we could have an insular job where everyone speaks English... but what happens when you get the run-around from a parts supplier and you find yourself on the phone with a manufacturer in Japan? The notion that people only need to know one language is grossly outdated.