Inauguration Day

Inauguration day is the 20th, which is coincidentally the first day of classes.

One of my classes has been canceled.

One of my classes has said that we will be watching the inauguration in class.

For some reason, this really bothers me.

I mean... Seriously people. This isn't all that special a day. Certainly not worth canceling classes over.

Definitely not worth $160 million dollars. Certainly not worth nearly $50 million dollars.

I hate to break it to you people.

Obama is not the patron saint, a savior, or the solution to all our problems.

He is not all that and a bag of chips.

He is a man. A politician.

And if you haven't learned by now that all politicians are liars, crooks, and thieves, then I feel very sorry for you.

First black president. Whatever. I thought we as a society were supposed to be beyond stupid issues such as race. Good fucking grief.

I will give the man a chance he deserves.

But I'm sick of people going yippy-yappy hippity-hop over this.

To quote The Matrix, "You see: He's just a man."

-M, punching out.

 

3 Responses to Inauguration Day

  1. Noncomplacent Citizen Says:
    What a post to make the day before Dr. Martin Luther King Day...

    It isn't such a big thing that he's the first black president just because he's the first black president, it's a big thing because fifty-five years ago, blacks were just being let into the same schools as whites, dogs were being sicked on black children, and blacks couldn't drink from the same water fountains as whites. (I'm going to use the word "let" loosely, since there were problems with integration even after Brown vs. Board of Education and the overturn of Plessy vs. Ferguson.) So yes, racism is bad, and race shouldn't be an issue, but it is a historic feat - especially for people who actually lived through the days of segregation. To suggest that it's anything otherwise marginalizes their suffering.

    So is it a feat that we should have reason to be proud of in the first place? Not if you want to legitimize segregation. But all the same, segregation and the civil rights movement all happened, and to deny the momentousness of the occasion is to deny all of that. So yes, it is a historic occasion.
  2. Mike Santangelo Says:
    I think a lot of people misunderstand what I'm getting at here.

    I can of course see that it's a momentous historical occasion.

    Being elected to president is an amazing accomplishment for any person though, isn't it?

    So the fact that he's black, or purple, or female, or male, or christian, or muslim, or [insert group here] shouldn't really make the accomplishment much more grand, should it?

    I am proud that as a society we can break established trends when we see the possibility for greatness, but as someone who watches how people vote while they have office, I have seen nothing extraordinary from him as of yet, so I cannot in good conscience look away from it.

    I may have come off as an asshat writing this, and some people have questioned my reasoning, motives, and my audacity to look at him as just another politician, but ... I don't know what to tell you.

    He's just another politician to me.
  3. Noncomplacent Citizen Says:
    Yes, being elected president is a monumentous occasion for anyone, but it's especially impressive because he's black. There will be almost as much as, if not just as much, hubub if we ever elect a female, or a Muslim, or any other minority group. Because while yes, we're supposed to be past race, and while individually many of us are, the larger picture - the country as a whole - isn't necessarily so, considering there are still active chapters of the Klan. It isn't so much, "Yay, he's black," as much as it is, "Yay, we're overcoming this fear/hatred/ignorance... in baby steps."