More Late Night Ish

It's the weirdest things that keep me up at night, ya know?

Sometimes I don't even know what they are. Things have settled down after a bumpy week, I'm makin' money, I'm hangin' out with friends, I'm interviewin' all over the place.

And yet, I still can't fall asleep at night. It's really weird.

Someone told me it's cuz I'm stressed, but I don't know what I'd be stressed about at this particular point in time.

As a complete aside, I'm starting to think I see the world in very different ways than most people. I talked about this a while ago, and for those who missed it, i'll reiterate it here for ya.

There is an innate... beauty in science and knowledge.
And if you look around, look anywhere, even at the stupid dust bunnies on your floor, you could see the beauty in it. If you knew where and how to look.

Maybe you haven't realized it, but our existence as a whole is ... for lack of a better way of saying it, largely a fluke, really.
Out of all the planets in this solar system, in this galaxy, and for all we know, this universe, this one was formed perfectly conducive to life.
It is:
-the perfect distance from the sun, making it warm but not deathly hot.
-the perfect composition of metals. Without the molten iron core of the earth, the magnetic fields which help contain our ozone would not exist.
-the perfect composition of gases. I suppose you could make the argument that whatever life formed on this planet evolved to use this mixture of gases the way it does, but I mean... There's just too much evidence saying that Oxygen, Nitrogen, etc are essential to life to just discount it.
- shielded from meteors, asteroids, and other space debris by a planetoid (we call it the moon).

When you factor in the probabilities, you see that the chances for our existence are basically... Nil.

All these cards fell into place, and here we are.

And what do we do to show for it?

We kill each other.
We destroy the planet.
We bicker over pointless squabbles.
We try to adapt the world to fit our desires, instead of adapting our desires to fit our world.

Some say it's human nature. Well if that's the case, then humanity is doomed to failure, and I daresay deserves to fail. Any entity that does not adapt itself to work around issues like that cannot be long for this world.

I am... If anything... A scientist. An explorer. My search is for knowledge. The micro, the macro, the all.

And I wish people could see things the way I do. Or if they do see it the way I do, then tell me that they do.

Not because I feel superior for seeing things this way.
Not because I want to brag about it.
But because I wish you could see it like I do.
A never ending puzzle.
Infinite in breadth.
Unimaginable in scope.
Deceptively complex.
Breathtakingly simple.

--- Break! New Topic ---

There are a great many people that I talk to on any given day but yet I don't get to see. Since I don't get to see them every day (or nearly as often as I'd like to) I'm just gonna take a minute to say thanks for stickin' around and makin' things easier to deal with.

In no particular order:
My parents of course
My kid brother
Brian
Danny-kid
D
Shell
Flipsta!
Jon
Justine
Hannah
Cortney
Marcies
Matt
Nate
Renz
Tacoooooooo
Will
Alissa
Sumantha
Andrew
Chris
Era
Gwen (I misses teh Gwen and I wish she was around more often to even talk to. I haven't heard from you in almost 2 years!)
Jeff
Joe
Josh
Tashies
Nicole
Adam
Susan
Tim
Rough Tough Clough
Maria

I know there's more, so if I forgot you, I'm sorry. It's been a long day.

--- Break! New Topic ---

People in New Brunswick are really annoying sometimes.

It's 2:30 in the morning and the bars just let out. This is the worst time to be awake. Drunk idiots all over the place! And they won't shaddup. I can hear people down the street cuz they insist on yelling. Bastids.

---

That's all for now, I've run outta things to write. Back to watchin' Jurassic Park.

 

8 Responses to More Late Night Ish

  1. Noncomplacent Citizen Says:
    Aw, I made the list! You're welcome! :)

    I, along with people such as the likes of Jonathan Swift, agree with you. And it kind of reminds me of something from the Mulamadhyamakakarika - or as it's called in English, The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way. (I don't know if you've ever read it, but there's a translation and commentary by James Garfield, that's pretty popular and really good.)
  2. Mike Santangelo Says:
    I haven't read it, but I've been looking to find new things to read, so I think i'll try and find a copy. Thanks for the tip. :)

    Of course you made the list! :P
  3. dpdevil16 Says:
    Always there for ya man! Cheers! Speaking of which, I'm looking for the next opportunity to bring my vocal chords to the edge of destruction, so keep me posted bud.
  4. Mike Santangelo Says:
    Roger that! haha

    We're trying to get some drums first. And D just bought a real electric guitar so who know's what he's gonna be up to for the next month.
  5. Justine Bienkowski Says:
    I made the list :)
  6. Mike Santangelo Says:
    Yup. You people act surprised. :P
  7. Noncomplacent Citizen Says:
    I think I'm more surprised because I've only met you in person a whopping two times... which is part of the reason why I'm souped for the winter barbie.
  8. Mike Santangelo Says:
    Once is more than enough to make an impression, good or bad. :)