I've said it before

And I'll say it again.

This goes out to recruiters, hiring managers, and basically anyone in charge of making hiring decisions.

I am hired because I know what I am doing, not because I will do whatever I am told is a good idea. This might cost me bonuses, raises, promotions, and may even label me as "undesirable" by places I don't want to work at anyway, but I don't care.

I will not compromise my own principles and judgment without putting up a fight. Of course, I won't always win, and I will sometimes be forced to do things I don't agree with, but if I am my objections will be known, and if I am shown to be right and problems later develop, I will shout "I told you so!" repeatedly, laugh hysterically, and do a small dance or jig as appropriate to my heritage.

This goes double for things that I do on MY time.

What I do on MY time is irrelevant to you (in as much that I should not be coming into work trashed, stoned, or otherwise miserable from the previous night).

The infinite possibilities each day holds should stagger the mind. The sheer number of experiences I could have is uncountable, breathtaking, and I'm sitting here refreshing my inbox. We live in trapped loops... Reliving a few days over and over. And we envision only a handful of paths laid out ahead of us. We see the same things each day, we respond the same way, we think the same thoughts, each day is nothing more than a slight variation on the last. Ever moment smoothly following the gentle curves of societal norms. We act like if we just get through today, tomorrow our dreams will come back to us. And no, I don't have all the answers. I don't know how to jolt myself into seeing what each moment could become. But I do know one thing: The solution DOESN'T involve watering down my every little idea and creative impulse for the sake of some day easing my fit into a mold. It doesn't involve tempering my life to better fit someone's expectations. It doesn't involve constantly holding back for fear of shaking things up... This is VERY important so I want to say it as clearly as I can: FUCK THAT SHIT.

So can you explain to me WHY I should change MY life to fit into YOUR expectations at a job?

Seriously.

I wake up, I take my shower, I get dressed, I go to work, I work hard until my shift is over, I get home, and what, you expect me to sit around and do nothing until I go to sleep and do it over again? Fuck. That.

And I say again.

If this costs me a position at your company... Oh well, I probably wouldn't have fit in there anyways.

 

0 Responses to I've said it before