Social Networking

So I received an email from Rutgers Career Services today, titled "The Two Sides of Facebook". The email is pasted below for your reference:

Attention Students:

Do you use Facebook? Are you looking for a job or internship?
If you answered yes to both of these questions, you are
cordially invited to attend a special seminar:

"About Face: The Two Sides to Facebook"
Date Omitted
Time Omitted
Loc. Omitted

Attend this interactive seminar to learn how information you
post on social networking sites may impact your employment
and graduate school chances. Learn effective ways to develop
your profile to attract employers...not run them off!

Space is limited. Please call xxx-yyy-zzzz to register.


Career Services...Your Link to the Future

---

It reminds me of a post from XKCD - one of my favorite comics. I'm going to write it out now, because I want people to understand something...

Person A/Career Services: You should be more careful what you write. You never know when a future employer might read it.
Person B/Me: When did we forget our dreams?
Person A: What...?
Person B: (And this is the important part folks!) The infinite possibilities each day holds should stagger the mind. The sheer number of experiences I could have is uncountable, breathtaking, and I'm sitting here refreshing my inbox. We live in trapped loops... Reliving a few days over and over. And we envision only a handful of paths laid out ahead of us. We see the same things each day, we respond the same way, we think the same thoughts, each day is nothing more than a slight variation on the last. Ever moment smoothly following the gentle curves of societal norms. We act like if we just get through today, tomorrow our dreams will come back to us. And no, I don't have all the answers. I don't know how to jolt myself into seeing what each moment could become. But I do know one thing: The solution DOESN'T involve watering down my every little idea and creative impulse for the sake of some day easing my fit into a mold. It doesn't involve tempering my life to better fit somone's expectations. It doesn't involve constantly holding back for fear of shaking things up... This is VERY important so I want to say it as clearly as I can: FUCK THAT SHIT.

---

In short... What I write here is for me, my friends, my family, and anyone else who stumbles upon it. You can hold it against me if you really want. That's your loss in the end. It boils down to this, something that I have printed out in my wallet, that my grandpa and dad told me a long time ago:

"I am hired because I know what I am doing, not because I will do whatever I am told is a good idea. This might cost me bonuses, raises, promotions, and may even label me as "undesirable" by places I don't want to work at anyway, but I don't care.

I will not compromise my own principles and judgment without putting up a fight. Of course, I won't always win, and I will sometimes be forced to do things I don't agree with, but if I am my objections will be known, and if I am shown to be right and problems later develop, I will shout "I told you so!" repeatedly, laugh hysterically, and do a small dance or jig as appropriate to my heritage."

I have lived my life following societal norms, being what people want me to be, always holding back. I will continue to do it when I'm at work, when I'm out with friends, etc. But when I'm here, I am myself. I am at peace - and I will not hold back because I'm worried that some recruiter will reject me for being myself. I put my blog URL in my email signature - read the posts if you want. Don't if you don't. But don't ask me to change for you.

 

0 Responses to Social Networking